President Donald Trump signed an executive order targeting social media companies on Thursday, days after Twitter called two of his tweets ``potentially misleading.`` Speaking from the Oval Office ahead of... Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Trump signs executive order targeting social media companies

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next (showing 1-25 of 166)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:00:51 PM EST (GMT-5)
President Donald Trump signed an executive order targeting social media companies on Thursday, days after Twitter called two of his tweets "potentially misleading."

Speaking from the Oval Office ahead of signing the order, Trump said the move was to "defend free speech from one of the gravest dangers it has faced in American history."

"A small handful of social media monopolies controls a vast portion of all public and private communications in the United States," he claimed. "They've had unchecked power to censor, restrict, edit, shape, hide, alter, virtually any form of communication between private citizens and large public audiences."

1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:01:52 PM EST (GMT-5)
The executive order tests the boundaries of the White House's authority. In a long-shot legal bid, it seeks to curtail the power of large social media platforms by reinterpreting a critical 1996 law that shields websites and tech companies from lawsuits. But legal experts on both the right and the left have raised serious concerns about the proposal. They say it may be unconstitutional because it risks infringing on the First Amendment rights of private companies and because it attempts to circumvent the two other branches of government.

"(Trump) is trying to steal for himself the power of the courts and Congress to rewrite decades of settled law," said Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, the architect of the legislation that the order seeks to reinterpret. "He decides what's legal based on what's in his interest."

1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:03:57 PM EST (GMT-5)
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:15:37 PM EST (GMT-5)
Yeah... I’m pretty sure this is all to distract from Trump’s pandemic response and 100k+ dead Americans. And to rile up morons who think social media platforms have a legal obligation to not censor speech or whatever nonsense right-wing talking heads have convinced them section 230 of the Communications Decency Act means.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:51:32 PM EST (GMT-5)
It's all a set up to argue the results of the election as rigged if he loses.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:58:10 PM EST (GMT-5)
Clinton didn't need no stinking EO...
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:08:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
I also think its just a distraction and a way to fire up his base. Trump loves the media attention.

It would be nice if Twitter removed trumps claims that Joe Scarborough was responsible for the death of a woman that worked for Scarborough. Her husband asked Twitter to please remove them and Twitter declined.

"The President's tweet that suggests that Lori was murdered — without evidence (and contrary to the official autopsy) — is a violation of Twitter's community rules and terms of service," he wrote. "An ordinary user like me would be banished from the platform for such a tweet but I am only asking that these tweets be removed."
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:19:58 PM EST (GMT-5)
this thing enacted to try and protect first amendment rights seems to actually violate the first amendment
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:22:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:58:10 PM CowDung wrote:
Clinton didn't need no stinking EO...

This post is misleading as Clinton didn't do what jackass in chief is doing.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:25:17 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:51:32 PM snowbdr88 wrote:
It's all a set up to argue the results of the election as rigged if he loses.

1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:27:32 PM EST (GMT-5)
I think it's fair to say that Clinton argued the results of the election as rigged when she lost.

1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:29:53 PM EST (GMT-5)
Uhhh. In context, i thought you meant the Clinton who had the authority to make an EO.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:30:21 PM EST (GMT-5)
...and as I said:

On Thursday 5/28/20 - 6:58:10 PM CowDung wrote:
Clinton didn't need no stinking EO...


1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:32:07 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:29:53 PM postallbear wrote:
Uhhh. In context, i thought you meant the Clinton who had the authority to make an EO.


I would refer to her as Hillary for clarity, but apparently that's misogynistic unless one is a supporter of hers.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:33:03 PM EST (GMT-5)
Here’s a copy of an alleged draft of the EO.

I just skimmed it, but it looks like it’s unconstitutional in at least 2 ways. First, it’s an unconstitutional restriction on the free speech rights of Twitter and other social media platforms. Second, it’s an unconstitutional exercise of executive power.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:37:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:33:03 PM Courtbebe wrote:
[link] a copy of an alleged draft of the EO. I just skimmed it, but it looks like it’s unconstitutional in at least 2 ways. First, it’s an unconstitutional restriction on the free speech rights of Twitter and other social media platforms. Second, it’s an unconstitutional exercise of executive power.

Did you copy and paste that, cd? Y'know for the next time the mods here target you.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 9:15:17 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:33:03 PM Courtbebe wrote:
[link] a copy of an alleged draft of the EO. I just skimmed it, but it looks like it’s unconstitutional in at least 2 ways. First, it’s an unconstitutional restriction on the free speech rights of Twitter and other social media platforms. Second, it’s an unconstitutional exercise of executive power.
On Thursday 5/28/20 - 7:37:55 PM postallbear wrote:
Did you copy and paste that, cd? Y'know for the next time the mods here target you.


I'm not claiming Constitutional right violations or free speech infringements.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 9:28:36 PM EST (GMT-5)
This sounds unconstitutional
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 9:31:32 PM EST (GMT-5)
Plus how do you enforce this? Now you have to set up a new government dept to make judgement calls on every tweet and Facebook post that comes into question.

Plus if people don’t like the way Twitter is run, I’m sure there’s another Twitter like website they can go to.
1 month ago - Thursday 5/28/20 - 9:53:34 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Thursday 5/28/20 - 9:31:32 PM Noldor wrote:
Plus how do you enforce this? Now you have to set up a new government dept to make judgement calls on every tweet and Facebook post that comes into question. Plus if people don’t like the way Twitter is run, I’m sure there’s another Twitter like website they can go to.


It all needs to come down to their terms of service. If it doesn't violate their terms, then it should be allowed. I don't think that Twitter should be censoring content if it complies with the terms of service. If it doesn't comply, then they can.

1 month ago - Friday 5/29/20 - 6:38:36 AM EST (GMT-5)
"censor, restrict, edit, shape, hide, alter"
Did Twitter actually do any of these to his tweeds? As far as I know they didn't. They just commented on it by posting a link to a fact check. Does Trump really think fact checking him is a misuse of power?
1 month ago - Friday 5/29/20 - 7:20:15 AM EST (GMT-5)
1 month ago - Friday 5/29/20 - 8:15:54 AM EST (GMT-5)
Hiding isn't the same as deleting?
1 month ago - Friday 5/29/20 - 9:07:00 AM EST (GMT-5)
..

"When the looting starts the shooting starts"

about protesters responding to the murder of black citizen by cops

And the president is the victim?
1 month ago - Friday 5/29/20 - 9:07:05 AM EST (GMT-5)
Looting and protesting are two different things, no?

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next (showing 1-25 of 166)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit