[link] According to a new study, which tracked anonymized cellphone data from the rally, over 250,000 coronavirus cases have now been tied to the 10-day event, one of the largest... Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Quests. | Journs. | Gen. | News | Quiz | Links | TV | Music | Movies | Games | Sports | Sug. | Lit. | Jokes | Artcls. | Newb | O.S.
Sturgis motorcycle rally linked to more than 250,000 COVID cases

Prev 1 2 3 4 Next (showing 51-75 of 83)

Back to Thread List
Bottom Last Post

1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 12:22:43 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 11:01:28 AM postallbear wrote:
Higher =/= declining


Not equal, and also not mutually exclusive.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 12:23:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
Higher numbers can indeed be part of a declining trend...
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 12:55:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 12:23:44 PM CowDung wrote:
Higher numbers can indeed be part of a declining trend...

Are you trying to get a job in trump administration?
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:13:38 PM EST (GMT-5)
No, I just know how to read and interpret graphical data.

Do you claim that gas prices never decrease these days because gas was cheaper in 1972?
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:15:45 PM EST (GMT-5)
'Declining' means going from a higher point to a lower point. It measures relative movement of the data points- - like the data measured from the peak in July to the present time.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:17:25 PM EST (GMT-5)
Last year in September, we had zero covid cases- - do you think there cannot be a decline in the number of cases until we get back to zero and go negative?
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:47:22 PM EST (GMT-5)
1972 was 48 years ago. June was 3 months ago. Time frame matters
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:48:34 PM EST (GMT-5)

On Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:47:22 PM postallbear wrote:
1972 was 48 years ago. June was 3 months ago. Time frame matters


OK

What 'time frame' do you require?

On Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:17:25 PM CowDung wrote:
Last year in September, we had zero covid cases- - do you think there cannot be a decline in the number of cases until we get back to zero and go negative?
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:49:14 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:15:45 PM CowDung wrote:
'Declining' means going from a higher point to a lower point. It measures relative movement of the data points- - like the data measured from the peak in July to the present time.

1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 1:59:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
Can we see just one day lower than June 1st before we say cases are declining? It's 3 months ago. The virus wasn't even really a thing in the US before March. So 6 months more or less. Bringing last year into the discussion isn't a valid argument.

Gas prices have been with us since invention of the automobile. 100+ years. Comparing the two is apples and pumpkin spice ale.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 2:12:43 PM EST (GMT-5)
There is nothing about a 'decline' that requires that the numbers be below some arbitrary level. Any time you have a point lower than a higher point, it is a 'decline'. Cases have been declining since the peak in July.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 2:51:54 PM EST (GMT-5)
If the numbers go back up in October and November, would you think it's fair to say that they are 'increasing' or 'growing' even if they aren't at the level they were during the peak back in July?
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 4:45:29 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 11:01:28 AM postallbear wrote:
Higher =/= declining


You're confusing higher/lower with rising/declining.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 4:59:16 PM EST (GMT-5)
Jesus christ. You guys can both be making correct statements that reflect different perspectives. Yous know that right?
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 5:05:33 PM EST (GMT-5)
No. When a plane is coming in for a landing, it is descending. Postallbear says no it's not because it was at a lower altitude at one point.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 5:58:34 PM EST (GMT-5)
Postalbear can speak for himself, but I believe the large point is that you're still nipple-deep in sh*t. So stating that cases are descending might be factually correct, but the reassuring connotations the statement carries are false.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 11:09:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
It's real simple, if the R number is above 1 at any point Then cases are increasing. If it is below 1, cases are declining at that point in time.
1 month ago - Saturday 9/12/20 - 11:44:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 11:09:55 PM Boredofu wrote:
It's real simple, if the R number is above 1 at any point Then cases are increasing. If it is below 1, cases are declining at that point in time.


Speaking of simple, it's Boredofpoo!
1 month ago - Sunday 9/13/20 - 2:28:56 AM EST (GMT-5)
Yes Sprat
1 month ago - Monday 9/14/20 - 12:41:35 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 5:05:33 PM Noldor wrote:
No. When a plane is coming in for a landing, it is descending. Postallbear says no it's not because it was at a lower altitude at one point.

Comparing the flight pattern of a plane to a graph on covid cases is pretty asinine. But that's what you're here for.
1 month ago - Monday 9/14/20 - 12:45:01 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 5:58:34 PM ClarencY wrote:
Postalbear can speak for himself, but I believe the large point is that you're still nipple-deep in sh*t. So stating that cases are descending might be factually correct, but the reassuring connotations the statement carries are false.

That's kind of what i was getting at by saying "can't we wait until we have a day with fewer new cases than we had 3 months ago to say we're declining"
1 month ago - Monday 9/14/20 - 8:11:21 AM EST (GMT-5)
No because some of us prefer what is factually correct.
1 month ago - Monday 9/14/20 - 10:35:37 AM EST (GMT-5)
...and if cases continue to decline, they will reach a point where we have fewer cases then we had 3 months ago.

You didn't answer my question:
On Saturday 9/12/20 - 2:51:54 PM CowDung wrote:
If the numbers go back up in October and November, would you think it's fair to say that they are 'increasing' or 'growing' even if they aren't at the level they were during the peak back in July?

1 month ago - Monday 9/14/20 - 1:40:38 PM EST (GMT-5)
I think postal is wrong.
1 month ago - Monday 9/14/20 - 2:17:44 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Monday 9/14/20 - 8:11:21 AM CowDung wrote:
No because some of us prefer what is factually correct.

We're in deep poo and it's going to get worse is also factually correct.

Prev 1 2 3 4 Next (showing 51-75 of 83)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Back to Thread List
Top

 
Edit